Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's a Small World After All ... It's a Small World

I was wondering when we would have one of those small world experiences where you run into someone from home halfway around the world. It happened this morning. We were sitting at breakfast here at the Golden Banana in Siem Reap, Cambodia. The husband was wearing his Hue Advanced Program in Physics t-shirt that has the University of Virginia V and crossed sabers on the back. That caught the eye of a woman and her adult daughter who came over to say that younger son looked very familiar to them. Turns out that the woman is a special ed teacher at Albemarle High School. The daughter now works in Thailand but when in Charlottesville works at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports which is owned by her father. We decided that was where she'd seen younger son since he's a frequent shopper there. The mom's name was familiar to me, which is not surprising since I used to work in the assessment office of the county school system. Interestingly, as we sat at a cafe having dessert last night, I wondered when we were going to run into someone we knew or when I would see someone we knew walking down a street. Mission accomplished. Now all I have to do is get the Disney song out of my head.

1 comment:

Va said...

Personally I think it all relates to Charlottesville. People from here go everywhere and are bound to run into each other elsewhere!